Robert Morris University Cheerleading
The Robert Morris University cheerleading program consists of two cheer teams, Blue and White. The Blue team attends football games and men's basketball games, and the White Team attends football games and women's basketball games. At times, the Blue and White Team may combine to attend basketball games and postseason basketball and/or football games.
Community Service / University Life
The RMU cheerleading teams are present at all football games, men's and women's basketball games and several hockey games. Not all cheerleaders will cheer for all games. The RMU cheerleaders also perform in the pre-game parade with the RMU Band.
Teams practice twice weekly on Monday and Wednesday evenings.The teams attend UCA College camp (may be held at RMU). Without exception, team members must attend pre-camp and camp (August 18 through 25).
RMU Cheerleading Benefits
All Robert Morris University cheerleaders receive priority scheduling and early move in to dorms and university housing. Fall semester move in will be August 17.
Account credits may be available at the end of each year, based upon fulfillment of the football and basketball season. Teams are open to men and women, and Robert Morris is looking to expand its co-ed team in 2013-14.
Cheerleaders are also permitted to travel to postseason tournament football and basketball games.
Try outs for the 2013-14 squad will be held Saturday, April 13, 2013, from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (dinner break from 3:00-4:00 p.m.) and Sunday, April 14, 2013 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Sewall Center. Candidates must complete an application and be present for tryouts. If a candidate is under 18 years of age they must have their application signed by a parent or guardian. Applications can be obtained by contacting email@example.com.
Candidates not available for on campus try-outs must contact the cheerleading coach in order to submit a DVD. Coaches will only consider those candidates who have obtained advanced permission to send a DVD. Permission to submit a DVD is at the sole discretion of the coaching staff.
• Fight Song
• Stunting (for example, liberty, heel stretch, arabesque, cradle, full down)
• Standing (standing back handspring)
• Running tumbling (round off back handspring minimum)
• Candidates must participate in collegiate stunt clinic
• Each candidate will be interviewed by RMU coaches
• Stunting experience is suggested
• Those candidates with advanced stunting and tumbling skills will be given priority consideration
• The teams are open to both women and men (men will be required to co-ed stunt at try-outs).
• Co-Ed Stunting - Basic skills, including toss shoulder sit and toss toe touch (all men must be willing to learn and advance).
Basic Requirements for RMU Cheerleaders:
• Must be enrolled at the University with 12 credit hours
• Must maintain a 2.0 grade point average
• Must be in good physical condition, examined and cleared with approval by RMU Athletic Training Staff
• Must have health insurance
• Must fundraise for everything not covered by the University
The University provides all uniforms, travel bags, warmups, poms, per diem while traveling, hotel accommodations and all other travel expenses in regard to game travel.
RMU cheerleaders will compete at the either UCA College Nationals or NCA College Nationals. Fundraising opportunities will be provided to raise money for travel to nationals. Practice for competition will begin in September.