SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Robert Morris University men's ice hockey team opened the season with a win Saturday night knocking off American International, 4-1.
Nathan Longpre (Peterborough, Ontario / Mahoning Valley Phantoms) scored in the second and third periods and added an assist to lead the Colonials to their first win in the Atlantic Hockey Association. Scott Kobialko (Spruce Grove, Alberta / Camrose Kodiaks) picked up a pair of assists while Brooks Ostergard (Chagrin Falls, Ohio / Bay State Breakers) made 22 saves to send the Colonials to their first season opening win since the 2007-08 campaign.
"I am very please with how we played tonight," head men's ice hockey coach Derek Schooley said. "It is the first game so you are going to make some mistakes but we able to keep them to a minimum. Now we just need to come out and have a repeat performance tomorrow."
Robert Morris grabbed the lead 1:23 into the second period when Brock Meadows (White Rock, British Columbia / Salmon Arm Silverbacks) fired a shot that slipped past AIC net minder Ben Meisner. Kobialko picked up the assist after he picked off a Yellow Jacket clear attempt and dished to Meadows.
Longpre picked his first goal of the season at the 4:25 mark of the second period to extend the lead to 2-0. Kobialko dug the puck out of the corner and passed to Andrew Blazek (Pittsburgh, Pa. / Topeka Roadrunners) at the top of the slot. Blazek fired on net and Longpre tipped the puck out in front past Meisner.
Denny Urban (Pittsburgh, Pa. / Ohio Blue Jackets) gave the Colonials a three goal advantage at the 10:52 mark of the third period. Longpre made it a four goal lead as he tallied his second goal of the night at the 12:41 mark of the third stanza. Following Longpre's second goal, AIC took a timeout and quickly found the net to move the final tally to 4-1.
The Colonials and the Yellow Jackets skated to a scoreless first period but, Robert Morris generated solid pressure putting 17 shots on net in the first frame. Zach Hervato (Stittsville, Ontario / Smiths Falls Bears) earned the first penalty shot attempt for the Colonials in school history. Meisner made penalty save for the Yellow Jackets. Ostergard stopped all six shots he faced in the first period.
The Colonials and Yellow Jackets conclude their series tomorrow at 4:05 p.m., the game can be see live one AmericaOne.com.
- Zach Hervato attempted the first penalty shot in Robert Morris school history with 11:59 remaining in the first period. The attempt was saved.
- Robert Morris moves to 4-3-0 all-time in season openers. The Colonials last season opening win was Oct. 12, 2007 when RMU knocked off then-No. 8 Boston, 3-2.
- The three goal margin is the largest for the Colonials in an opening day win.
- Nathan Longpre's three points move him to 99 career points. He is looking to be become the second player in school history to top 100 career points.
- The Colonials move to 4-0-1 all-time against American International.