"The most important thing that happened this weekend is that we came away with all four points," head men's ice hockey coach Derek Schooley said. "We learned a lot about our hockey team this weekend, we did some things well but we have plenty of areas we need to improve."
Trevor Lewis (Lititz, Pa. / Syracuse Stars) scored twice for the Colonials, while Denny Urban (Pittsburgh, Pa. / Ohio Blue Jackets) passed out three assists to lead Robert Morris to the weekend sweep. AIC took an early first period lead but Robert Morris used its best offensive output since Jan. 2, 2010 to rally past the Yellow Jackets.
The Colonials fell behind in the first period on a Tom Mele even-strength goal at 7:37 mark. Tom's brother Steve gave the Colonials a chance to even the score after he earned a hooking penalty at 9:18 of the first period. Lewis found the net, with the man advantage, for the first time in this season off an assist from Chris Kushneriuk (Ottawa, Ontario / Orleans Blues).
Freshman Colin South (Sewickley, Pa. / Bay State Breakers) made it 2-1 with a even strength tally at 12:52 of the first frame, goalie Brooks Ostergard (Chagrin Falls, Ohio / Bay State Breakers) picked up the rare goalie assist on the play. Less than two minutes later, Nick Chiavetta (Harrisburg, Pa. / New York Applecore) turned a turnover into a 3-1 lead for the Colonials when he scored unassisted at the 14:32 mark.
American International cut the lead to one in the second period when Steve McLeod scored on a 5-on-3 opportunity. Robert Morris added three third period goals to put the game out of reach for the Yellow Jackets. Brendan Jamison (Pittsburgh, Pa. / Jersey Hitmen), Ron Cramer (New Wilmington, Pa. / Indiana Ice) and Lewis all found the net in the third period to secure the sweep for the Colonials.
The Colonials return to action Friday Oct. 15 when they travel to Ohio State to take on the Buckeyes in Value City Arena.
- The six goals for the Colonials are the most by a Robert Morris squad since Jan. 2, 2010.
- The road sweep is the first for the Colonials since Feb. 20-21, 2009 against Alabama-Huntsville.
- The goalie assist by Ostergard was the first by a Robert Morris net minder since March 7, 2008, when Christian Boucher earned an assist against Alabama-Huntsville.
- The three assists by Urban equals a career high, Lewis' two goals were a career high.
- The 2-0-0 start by the Colonials is the best since 2007-08.