Trevor Lewis (Lititz, Pa. / Syracuse Stars) scored with 28 seconds left in regulation to help Robert Morris pick up a tie against Sacred Heart. The Colonials (6-2-1, 5-2-1) fell behind, 3-1, in first period as Pioneers (1-5-1, 1-2-2) scored two goals in the final 42 second of the first frame.
The Pioneers took the early lead with a power-play goal from Chad Filteau at 5:09 of the first period. The Colonials quickly responded with a power-play goal of their own from Nathan Longpre (Peterborough, Ontario / Mahoning Valley Phantoms) at the 9:10 mark of the first frame. Adam Brace (Cobden, Ontario / Canisius College) and Denny Urban (Pittsburgh, Pa. / Ohio Blue Jackets) earned the assists. The period looked to be headed to a 1-1 tie but Sacred Heart picked two goals in the final minute one from Mitchell Stretch and one from Reid Macleod to give the Pioneers a 3-1 advantage after one period of play.
The second period began with a change in net with Eric Levine (Wheeling, Ill. / Pembroke Lumber Kings) taking the place of Brooks Ostergard (Chagrin Falls, Ohio / Bay State Breakers) in net. Furman South (Sewickley, Pa. / Bay State Breakers) cut the lead to one with an even-strength goal at the 12:37 with Nick Chiavetta (Harrisburg, Pa. / New York Applecore)
and Brandon Blandina (Centennial, Colo. / Indiana Ice) earning the assists. The Pioneers pushed the lead back to two with a goal from David Berube at the 13:52 mark of the second period.
Urban scored his second goal of the season 1:53 into the third period to cut the Pioneers lead to one. Lewis completed the rally with his third goal of the season. Sacred Heart and Robert Morris played a scoreless overtime period with the Colonials outshooting the Pioneers, 7-1.
Robert Morris and Sacred Heart return to action tomorrow at the Island Sports Center with puck drop set for 7:05 p.m.
- Robert Morris has rallied to tie every game this season in which they have trailed.
- The four goals scored by Sacred Heart are the most scored by any Colonial opponent this season.
- Friday's game was the third overtime game for the Colonials this season and their second consecutive.
- Robert Morris has not lost a game in regulation this season.- The Colonials have outscored their opponents in the 12-1 in final ten minutes of regulation. Robert Morris has outscored its opponents 15-5 in the third period after the first period the Colonials have outscored their opposition 26-14.
- Furman South extended his career long point streak to five games.
- Longpre's second period goal tied him for second in the Colonial record book in career goals.