PITTSBURGH, Pa. - The Robert Morris University men's ice hockey team lost its first game in regulation time Friday night as Mercyhurst knocked off the Colonials, 3-1.
Brendan Jamison (Pittsburgh, Pa. / Jersey Hitmen) scored at 5:52 in the first period to give the Colonials (7-3-1, 6-3-1) an early lead but it was not enough against the Lakers (4-4-1, 4-2-0) at the Island Sports Center, Friday night. Mercyhurst received a terrific performance from goalie Ryan Zapolski, who made 50 saves on the night including 18 in the third period to earn the win.
Taylor Holstrom scored a power-play goal at 13:46 of the first period to even the score. Jeff Terminesi gave the Lakers the lead in the second period with an even strength goal. Kyle Just added an empty-net goal at 19:48 of the third period to secure the win for the Lakers.
The 51 shots for the Colonials are the second most this season for Robert Morris. Robert Morris went 0-for-6 on the power play and 4-of-5 on the penalty kill and fired 10 shots on goal in their six power play chances.
Robert Morris returns to action tomorrow with a road trip to Canisius. The game can be heard on Pittsburgh Penguins HD radio and RMUColonials.com.
- The Colonials have not allowed more than four goals in game this season and have not allowed more than three goals
- The one goal and two points are season lows for Robert Morris.
- The Colonials have never won against their instate rival holding a record of 0-2-1 all-time against the Lakers.
- The empty net goal scored by the Lakers is just the second goal allowed this season by the Colonials in the final 10 minutes of regulation. Robert Morris holds a 13-2 scoring edge in the final 10 minutes of regulation play.
- Robert Morris goalie Brooks Ostergard has not allowed more than three goals in a game this season.